[PERMIT-L] National Parks Service "loans"

Ellen Paul ellen.paul at verizon.net
Thu Dec 17 07:03:50 MST 2009

A number of organizations, including the Ornithological Council and the
Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections, along with
the Field Museum and the Missouri Botanical Garden, have been working on
this issue for longer than I care to remember (and our efforts followed
on those of NSCA, which got the ball rolling back in the early 90s). The
Smithsonian has also engaged in these discussions, though their legal
situation is somewhat sui generis despite the fact that the underlying
concerns about the loan policy are the same.

Sorry to report that there has been little progress. We had a final,
definitive NO from the NPS a year or so ago on the issue of transfer of
ownership of specimens. Since then, we have been working on alternatives
that might address the problems that arise from loans, and from related
NPS policies.

With the change in administration and some promising developments in
terms of new staff, we hope to pursue the discussion of these
alternatives with renewed vigor.

Sorry to be vague, but the bottom line is that at this point, there has
been no change.

Wishing us all a better 2010 in this regard!

Ellen Paul

Ellen Paul
Executive Director
The Ornithological Council
Email: ellen.paul at verizon.net
"Providing Scientific Information about Birds"
http://www.nmnh.si.edu/BIRDNET"